Dr. Joubin S. Gabbay
Dr. Joubin Gabbay was raised in Beverly Hills and is deeply rooted in the local community. Dedicating himself to a career in plastic surgery was a natural evolution of Dr. Gabbay’s extensive educational background in medicine, art and architecture, as plastic surgery requires the surgical precision of a medical doctor, the vision of an artist, and the attention to detail of an architect. Dr. Gabbay’s background has provided him with a comprehensive and well-rounded skill set, and has given him a unique vision and expertise that distinguishes him from others in his field.
Early in his undergraduate education, Dr. Gabbay began pursuing a well-rounded course of study that would become the foundation for his guiding philosophy on patient care. Dr. Gabbay believes that the best way to serve patients is to have a comprehensive understanding and knowledge of all issues related to his patients’ needs. Dr. Gabbay graduated with honors from the University of California, San Diego, where he studied Molecular Biology and Studio Art / Art History. Not satisfied with a classroom-based education alone, Dr. Gabbay independently performed research in cell-signaling at the prestigious Salk Institute in La Jolla, CA, and in surgical outcomes at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.
Dr. Gabbay received his Medical Degree (M.D.) at The Medical College of Virginia, in Richmond, VA. During this time, Dr. Gabbay also continued his independent research with his Cedars-Sinai colleagues, and presented his research findings at nationwide medical conferences, in addition to publishing his work in numerous prominent medical journals.
After medical school, Dr. Gabbay returned home to Los Angeles to complete his General Surgery Residency at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. While at Cedars-Sinai, Dr. Gabbay was chosen as the Bernard J. Sarnat Research Fellow at UCLA’s Division of Plastic Surgery. During this fellowship, his studies of fat-derived stem cells, cosmetic and pediatric plastic surgery resulted in over thirty published articles and presentations in prominent national and international journals and conferences.
Dr. Gabbay was then accepted into UCLA’s preeminent Plastic Surgery Residency program, where he worked with an elite team of plastic and cosmetic surgeons as he perfected and honed his plastic surgery skills. Dr. Gabbay went on to complete a post-graduate fellowship training program in Specialty Plastic Reconstructive Surgery at Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center in Downey, CA. This intensive program furthered his mastery of plastic surgical techniques by focusing on patients with spinal cord injuries and complex wounds requiring surgical reconstruction.
Dr. Gabbay applies his broad skill set to each of his patients every single day. His unique background bolsters his abilities as a surgeon, and enables him to offer his patients a well-rounded and thoughtful perspective, empowering them to make the most well-informed decisions regarding their surgeries. Dr. Gabbay prides himself on taking complete care of his patients. His comprehensive approach ensures that all patients who walk through the doors of Gabbay Plastic Surgery receive the absolute best individualized care and the most successful results possible.
Dr. Gabbay continues an active enjoyment of the vibrant art scene in Los Angeles, and finds his greatest joy in spending time with his wife Tiffany and their children Paloma and Evan.
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California
- Medical College of Virginia/Virginia Commenwealth University, Richmond, Virginia
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Department of Surgery, Los Angeles, California Research Associate
- Salk Institute for Biological Studies, Molecular Biology and Virology Laboratory, La Jolla, California – Research Associate
- University of California, San Diego, Department of Biology, La Jolla, California – Teaching Assistant
HONORS AND AWARDS
- First prize, The Dr. Leon Morgenstern Great Debates in Clinical Surgery
- Best Clinical Paper 2006 – Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Dr. Owen Cole Award for Best Trainee Presentation
- Best Basic Science Presentation
- Lipkin Award for Outstanding Research
- Intern of the Year
- Best Scientific Paper/The Auxiliary Award
- The Susan J. Mellete Scholarship for Undergraduate Medical Research
- The King Scholarship for Academic Achievement
- Provost’s Honors